Archive for April, 2009

h1

“Stacy Napping” Painting Finished

April 28, 2009

Here’s the final version of the new painting. The dark areas came out better than I was anticipating; although, the matte surface is a bit uneven. This may force me to varnish it later on, something I typically dislike doing on casein.

Final version

Final version


Closeup

Closeup

Advertisements
h1

New version of “Stacy Napping” Painting

April 26, 2009

My appologies for being M.I.A. on posts lately, but I have been painting in between more interuptions. I decided to do a new version of a painting from a few years back called “Stacy Napping.” The original, which can be seen here, was made also with casein but in a thinner more gouache-like manner. This time I’m also darkening the room a bit more and increasing the size. It’s 16×12″ on hardboard.

Unfinished painting

Unfinished painting

This current state shows some of the unfinished blue undertone values. After I get the rest covered, I’ll go back and make any adjustments as necessary. Casein darks have a tendency to stay rather high in value due to their matte quality, so I may need to work with that more at the end.

h1

Now Showing: Latest Version of Painting

April 11, 2009

Here’s the latest state of the new painting “Now Showing.” The right side needs a little more sharpening up and there are some tree limbs to put in.

Latest version

Latest version



Read other posts in this series:

  • 1 -Painting Started
  • 2 -Painting Updated
  • h1

    Painting Accepted for Exhibition

    April 7, 2009

    I received news in the mail recently that my recent painting “Sitting in a Dark Corner” was accepted for entry into a local art exhibition. I gave it a final varnish over the weekend and am now putting the frame together. Delivery is due the first week of May.

    darkrm2

    In related news, three other paintings of mine are hanging in another local show. That one will be up until May 12.

    h1

    Now Showing: Painting Update

    April 4, 2009

    In spite of a short interuption of a few days traveling, I’m back to working on this painting again. Here you can see the left side (casein) progressing on a rough underpainted background (acrylic.) I added a couple figures in the center.

    Painting Update #1

    Painting Update #1

    I had started the underpainting rather tightly rendered, and then changed my mind painting it out more loosely. No sense in rendering it twice. I’m including a closeup detail of the top left corner. The size of the painting is 16 x 20″ on hardboard panel.

    nowshowclose1



    Read other posts in this series:

  • 1 -Painting Started
  • 3 -Latest Version