Posts Tagged ‘Casein’


Painting Final: Coffee at the Window

February 19, 2018

There’s some cleaning up needed and lines to be straightened out, but I’ll still call this a final version.


Painting Update 4: Coffee at the Window

February 6, 2018

A little further along. I’ve painted in her figure and left hand, started on the sink area, and retouched the background in a couple places.

If you look closely in the dark area of her figure you can see a few sprinkles of raindrops that got to it as I took this photo. Fortunately, they evaporated quickly without any damage when I dashed back inside.


Painting Update 3: Coffee at the Window

January 30, 2018

Here’s an update on the painting. I’ve gotten her face and hair, and the window painted. I need to darken the back wall, but I’ll wait until I get the rest painted in first.


Considering Selling the Casein Paint I Make

January 20, 2018

I continue to be wrapped up in a family crisis, so I haven’t yet gotten back to my painting, but hope to tomorrow. In the meantime, I made up some more casein paint yesterday. This time I made some yellow ochre.

It came out very good. The paper shows a thin wash, and an undiluted sample painted over a black sharpie ink marker. I decided to use my last empty 45ml tube instead of the new 37s I got recently.

All this paint I’ve been making has got me wondering if anyone would be interested in buying some tubes of paint from me. Right now I have a bunch of burnt umber, titanium white, red oxide, and this yellow ochre. I have a few small jars of other colors, but can easily get more. I could put together a “basic set” of six tubes, such as what Richeson does with their caseins. I’m sure I could affordably sell it for $15 to $20, and possibly individual tubes as well for $3 or $4. That would be much cheaper then Richeson. Not sure how I would market them. Perhaps an Etsy page, or a Go Fund Me project would work. Does this sound like something any of you would be interested in? If so, please leave me some feedback.


Painting Update 2: Coffee at the Window

January 17, 2018

I’ve been preoccupied lately with a family matter, and will remain so for awhile, so progress on this will be slow, but I’ll try to squeeze in time as I can. Not a too much new on this update to show, just the tiles on the back wall have been added.

One thing I wanted to mention about working in casein that I can use this as and example regards later varnishing procedures. After a various length of time, casein paint will cure to a point that it can be varnished by first adding a protection isolation coat. For that I use an acrylic medium from Liquitex called Gloss Medium and Varnish. Before I apply that, I like to test the casein paint surface to make sure the acrylic medium won’t disturb the paint. In this painting there are scrap areas above and below on the paper surface that will be trimmed off. I can use the paint on that area to test the acrylic. If such a space isn’t available, I can just paint a separate scrap piece of paper when I finish the painting, or paint on the back. That way the paint sample will cure for the same amount of time. If the casein is not disturbed I can safely apply the acrylic isolation coat, and once that dries I can continue to apply two coats of an acrylic-safe varnish. I find that 3 to 4 months is the average amount of time to wait for casein to properly cure, but it may take less time depending on the thickness of the paint.


Painting Update: Coffee at the Window

January 11, 2018

I’ve gotten a little further on the painting. Added some neutral undertone washes, and started working on the cabinets, hand and cup. I had forgotten to put in the coffee maker in the layout, so I painted that in, too. It’s all still rough. I’ll polish it up as I get further along.


Making Red Oxide Casein Paint for New Painting

January 7, 2018

As I’m starting to work on the background of the new painting, I noticed I was too low on the red oxide paint that I wanted to use, so I needed to mix up some more.

I also wanted to test out the package of Bob’s Red Mill milk powder I bought recently to see how well it works for making a casein binder. 1 quart of rehydrated milk gave me a little less than 6 ounces of casein when I added 1/2 cup of vinegar. That’s the separated milk liquid on the right. I’m used to seeing the milk coagulate into a large ball after I add the vinegar, which I then tear it into small pieces so it will dissolve better. This milk forms small clumps of casein instead, as seen here, so that saves me an extra step.

I added about 2 teaspoons of Borax diluted in 1/2 cup distilled water to this casein, and let that sit for about 24 hours to form a thick smooth gel. This will be my paint binder.

The red oxide pigment was purchased from Camden Grey. A one pound bag cost me only $3. It makes a lovely dark red burgundy color that mixes very easily with my binder. I’m waiting on an order of empty paint tubes to arrive, so I’m using a one ounce jar in the meantime.

Here’s a scan of the paint on a piece of watercolor paper. I painted it over some black Sharpie marks to show how opaque it is. It also thins down nicely. Now I’m ready to get back to work.