Posts Tagged ‘Painting’

h1

Painting Final: Carlos Plans a Garden

May 20, 2020

You might think with all of this enforced stay at home time lately that I would have wrapped this up sooner, but here we are finally. I still feel like I might need to make a few more adjustments to this, but will let it sit for awhile first. After this dries I’ll permanently mount it to a firm support, and that might give me a better view. The loose taping of it now has some wrinkles showing.

h1

Painting Update 4: Carlos Plans a Garden

April 26, 2020

I managed to squeeze a little more work on my painting of Carlos. Got the back wall in, and painted his arms. I’ll still have more adjustments to do on those and some of the other painted areas, but will move on to the bottom first. You can see where I added a shape in the corner for a bag of soil for his garden.

h1

Painting Update 3: Carlos Plans a Garden

April 16, 2020

I’ve started getting his figure roughed in. I’ll come back to that after I get the wall behind him worked out. All the paint is being kept very thin at this point.

h1

Painting Update 2: Carlos Plans a Garden

April 7, 2020

Here’s a slight update to the painting in progress, showing the top background area painted in.

I noticed a problem with the backing board I was using. I had lightly tacked this synthetic paper to a sheet of mounting board, but the solvent I was using in the paint was seeping through, causing the adhesive to bubble up in spots, becoming unglued. Because this paper had printing on the back, I sprayed a black acrylic paint on the back so that print wouldn’t show through. I thought that would make a barrier for the solvent, but it didn’t work. Perhaps I needed more coats. Anyway, I decided to pull the paper off and just tape it down. I had to be careful since the oil paint was still wet, but it came off okay. This should work well until I’m finished, and then I’ll mount it more permanently.

h1

Painting Update: Carlos Plans a Garden

April 2, 2020

Here’s the latest version of the painting from yesterday’s work. I’ve roughed in the my color choices, trying to define the shapes a bit and values. You can see how muddy my palette gets, and that’s intentional, since I want to keep all my colors at a neutral base at this point.

I think I need a little more information for the garden that he’s looking at. Perhaps a bag of soil and some flowers in the raised bin at the corner.

h1

New Painting: Carlos Plans a Garden

March 28, 2020

Starting a new painting, finally. This should help pass the time as I “shelter-in-place” from that global pathogen that has us all hibernating, not that it’s changing my routine very much. This will be an oil painting based on a photo I took of my neighbor, Carlos. He had been outside building a new garden, and was taking a break as he figured out the design.

I had made a rough sketch on newsprint paper to the size I wanted. That size was just determined by a pre-cut mounting board I had, 15×20. I loosely glue-tacked a sheet of Tyvek paper to it to paint on to give the surface something sturdy to handle. I transferred the sketch to the Tyvek with a brown color pastel as an outline (pictured left,) and then toned the whole thing with a thinned wash of burnt sienna paint. The next stage will be to start laying down the darkest tones.

h1

Silicone Vapor Shield Paper for Art Use

March 1, 2020

I recently picked up a roll of paper that I wanted to test for artwork. The product is called “silicone vapor shield,” which is a silicone coated paper sold as a moisture barrier underlayment for wood floors.

What attracted me to this was the size, price, and availability. The roll is @3ft x 72ft. I bought it at a local Home Depot for $16. The silicone is coated on one side, the other side is regular raw paper. I should mention that I have no idea what kind of paper is used, or how the coating might affect the paper long term, so it should be treated as non-archival.

The above image shows drawing media applied to the raw, uncoated side. It behaves just like regular paper stock, and takes all the different mediums very well. The paper is 6 mil, which is fairly thin, like a printed poster, but the silicone makes it relatively stiff.

Above I painted on the raw side with watercolor. In the first image I just taped it down, and the thin paper buckled a bit. Later I stretched to to one of my home-made stretcher bars, and it shrank tight as a drum. This will work well with watercolor or gouache.

Here I tested mediums on the back side of the watercolor test I had made. Some mediums worked well on this silicone coating, some didn’t work well at all. The worst were mediums that were very wet, like the gouache or wet inks. Many pencils worked fine, but didn’t get very dark, and the powdery types like pastels or charcoal won’t work at all. Acrylic and oil paint went down okay, but there’s not much adhesion to this surface. The coating also makes wet mediums dry much more slowly.

In the image on the right you can see how easy it was to scratch through the acrylic and Pitt marker. The acrylic resisted scratching better when I added a medium. The oils beaded up slightly when diluted with oil medium or thinned with solvent, but still coated rather well. I think this would work okay as an undertone layer. I didn’t see any oil or solvent penetrate through to the other side. The initial layer of either acrylic or oil is thin and streaky, less so with more opaque pigments, and subsequent layers on top of that would look normal. Even this beading up still makes an interesting texture that could be useful. Painting over a beaded acrylic layer with oils, or drawing over it with the layout marker could make an nice effect.

In summary, keeping in mind the caution on treating this as not acid free, I see this as a useful, economical surface for drawing or painting at a fairly large size for paper stock, especially for sketching purposes.