Archive for August, 2010

h1

Gouache Painting Update: Cafe Tables

August 31, 2010

Making slow progress on this one, but hope to have it wrapped up within another day. I thought I’d go ahead and post the current state of it anyway. I’m using a sort of “outlined” look to emphasize all the sharp edges of the tables and chairs.

This is based on a low resolution photograph of mine taken many years ago at a sandwich shop in Tustin, CA. Can’t recall the name of the place but they had a good salad bar.

Advertisements
h1

New Gouache Painting Started: Cafe Tables

August 27, 2010

This is the early stage of a new gouache painting. Here you’re seeing the undertone wash on the bottom and the top section fully painted. It’s 11 x 14 inches and I’m using polyester fabric again as my ground.


Detail of painting


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I’m testing out polycarbonate plastic this time as a new backing support, instead of hardboard. This is much lighter in weight. I was uncertain how acidic it might be, so I glued some rag paper to it first, and then glued the fabric on top of that. I drew a line drawing for the painting in pencil on the paper, and I can see it through the fabric. The glue I’m using is an acid-free “High Performance” spray made by Loctite. It works well but is awkward to handle when gluing large pieces of fabric.

h1

Gouache Painting Finished: Music Class

August 19, 2010

Here’s the final version of my gouache painting. 8×10″ on polyester fabric mounted to hardboard.

Finished painting


Detail


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I’ve been enjoying the last two gouache paintings. It’s been too long since I’ve worked with this medium and I’m fired up for more. I hope my casein paints don’t get jealous.

h1

Gouache Painting Update: Music Class

August 18, 2010

Here’s an update on the gouache painting shown on the previous posting. Almost done except for the figure on the far right and final cleanup.



.
.
.
.
.
.
.
You can hopefully see in the detail some of the brush texture I’ve been talking about that this polyester fabric allows me to achieve. There’s a mix of wet flowing paint and dry stippling. The orange shirt shows how I like to lay down the local color and darker shading before adding the brighter values.

h1

Gouache Painting on Polyester Fabric

August 15, 2010

Here’s another gouache painting I just started yesterday. It’s 8 x 10 inches.


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Unlike the last painting where I toned the surface with acrylic ink, this time I’m starting with watercolors and painting over that with gouache.

Partially painted surface


Detail


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The surface is polyester fabric. The local Target store near me was having a sale on bathroom supplies, so I bought a couple of white shower curain liners that are 100% polyester, about 6 feet square, for @ $6 each. They’re very thin like cotton muslin, but quite strong and easy to cut. Too thin to stretch on frames, but can easily be mounted to a firm support. Here I used an acrylic spray adhesive, Loctite, and glued them to a sheet of hardboard I had available.

Polyester shower liner

Gouache adheres to this extremely well. The texture allows the paint to be applied almost like a dry marker, but smooth enough to not be a problem, and wet paint glides across it like paper. Wet washes flow very nicely. Plus, polyester will not swell with moisture as natural fibers would. I like it.

h1

Gouache Painting Finished

August 11, 2010

Here’s the final version of my recent gouache painting, 9×12 inches on Claybord.

Final painting


Closeup detail

h1

New Gouache Painting: Classroom

August 8, 2010

While the previous painting I started is “resting,” I’ve begun a new small gouache painting. This is on a Claybord panel from Ampersand, 9 x 12 inches.

Preliminary line drawing


Ink Tones


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I first started with a light color line drawing using a Derwent Cadmium Yellow watercolor pencil, and then added a wash of grey tones made with white and grey acrylic ink (Liquitex.) The ink helps keep the board surface from being too slippery as well as starting to set the values for the final painting.

Gouache added


Detail of gouache


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Here I am beginning to add the gouache paint, working as I habitually do from left to right. I first placed a few dark blacks in gouache, and then painted in the blackboard wall color before starting on the figure and signs on the blackboard. The head of that figure is about 1.75 inches tall to help give you an idea of scale.

You can see a sheet of wax paper on the right side of the image above. I use this to protect the painting from my hand. I could use a maul stick, but this works just as well. That brush is what I’ve been using for most of the painting so far. It’s a Lowell & Cornell “American Painter” shader brush #2. This is my typical “workhorse” brush for small paintings, and I’m very fond of how it performs.