Posts Tagged ‘gouache’

h1

Painting Update 4: Jan Sunning on the Grass

May 25, 2017

I’ve now got her figure mostly painted, liking how her hair turned out. I had pictured her skirt being very flat, as I’ve made it, but now I’m wondering if it needs a little more lighter modeling around her thigh. I think I’ll move on to the beach towel anyway as I give that some thought.

h1

Painting Update 3: Jan Sunning on the Grass

May 20, 2017

Just a little more to show on her figure. I wasn’t happy with her skin tone looking too pink, so I repainted some areas with a thin glaze of raw sienna. I think it’s back on track now.

h1

Painting Update 2: Jan Sunning on the Grass

May 15, 2017

Making a little progress on the figure of Jan. I’ve got her head and back mostly done, with her hair loosely roughed in. The brush strokes on her face needs some smoothing out, but I’ll get to that later.

I wound up not needing to do any scratching through the paint as I anticipated on this surface, but I like the feel of it anyway. The thin coat of plaster takes the paint really well.

h1

Painting Update: Jan Sunning on the Grass

May 11, 2017

Now I’ve got the grass “planted.” I mixed up a neutral red violet wash for the undertone of that area, and used a Winsor & Newton brilliant green and a titanium white I made for the grass. I’ll probably go back later and add more color variation, perhaps touches of yellow green, but I want to get the rest of the surface painted first. I want the figure and beach towel to remain brighter, so I don’t think I need to do an undertone for that, but will do some more testing on scrap paper to be sure.

h1

Plaster Coated Paper for Gouache Paint

May 4, 2017

As I get ready to prepare the surface for my new painting, I wanted to test out a ground to use especially for the grass area I’ll be painting. I’ll be using a large sheet of illustration board, and coating it with a thin ground made with spackling compound.

Spackling is a paste made out of (typically) calcium carbonate, silica, and glycol. You can find it at hardware stores, and it’s used for filling small holes and cracks in walls prior to painting. It can be thinned with water. I’ve added a small amount of acrylic medium to improve the adhesion and make it more flexible. In the picture above, I’ve drawn an area in pencil to show the rough texture it makes. It feels like a fine grit sandpaper. I applied just one coat. It creates a nice paint ground, but can lift if you use a very wet wash. Adding acrylic medium helps prevent that.

The main reason I’m using this particular ground is to allow me to lightly scrape away paint layers. You can see the marks I’ve made on the small test area of gouache paint in the picture. It will help me create a more convincing grass texture. The tools I used here are a bamboo pen and a solder scraping brush. The bamboo doesn’t dig too deeply into the plaster, and the steel brush gives a fuzzy, random scratch. I’m using various commercial gouache paint, as well as a couple of my own. This should work well for me.

UPDATE:
I’m adding a closeup of the painted area to show the scratch marks better.

h1

Painting Final: Allan at the Boat Dock

October 16, 2016

Here’s the final state of the painting, except for a little cleaning up.

allan_gouache5

I’m pleased with the end result. My original idea for the background setting completely changed after getting the figure started, something that doesn’t always work out well, but I think it all came together fine.

allan_gouache5b

h1

Painting Update 2: Allan at the Boat Dock

October 13, 2016

allan_gouache4

I’m a little further along with the background painted in. I’ll move to the wood on the dock next.