Archive for the ‘Drawing’ Category

h1

Drawing Final: Lashonda Florescent

September 19, 2017

Here’s the finished drawing; although, I still need to clean up a few small spots. I’ll let it sit for awhile to see if I want to add anything else. I may scrape away a little of the edges near the florescent stripes to make them appear to glow more.

I sprayed this with a couple coats of fixative, and noticed a slight problem afterwards. I was going to make up a fresh batch of my homemade casein fixative, but decided to use a commercial brand (Grumbacher) that I had handy. I noticed when I brought the drawing in under a light that there was a dusting of small white particles on the surface that came from the spray can. Fortunately, I was able to brush them off without disturbing the fixed charcoal underneath. My casein fixative doesn’t do that, so I’ll use that next time.

Advertisements
h1

Drawing Update 2: Lashonda Florescent

September 17, 2017

Here’s the latest state of the drawing. I’ve decided on a different approach for the background. The blending wasn’t working out to my satisfaction. The surface was too irregular to get it as smooth as it needed to be. So, decided to draw straight lines over it, and I think this will look better anyway.

I’m still drawing lines on the left side. Next I’ll add detail to her hair, and then it should be ready for fixative and clean-up.

h1

Drawing Update: Lashonda Florescent

September 11, 2017

Here’s the latest state of the new drawing. Everything is still in process, but I think her face is coming long nicely. I’ve decided that the background was too blotchy, so I used a paper stump to smooth it out. I’m going to try for a contrasting effect to make the background more out of focus. We’ll see how that looks as I get further along.

I’m using a couple different charcoal pencils for the thinner lines of her face and chest. I have a Conte and Wolff brand, and the Wolff is slightly darker. An X-Acto razor blade is used to cleanup lines, and lighten and sharpen areas, such as the highlight on her lips. The blade isn’t digging into the plaster surface, but when held lightly it just pushes the charcoal aside, and can then be blown away. You could use a razor on paper too to some degree, but it doesn’t remove as much of the charcoal as it does on plaster. For blowing, I use a drinking straw, and cover areas I don’t want hit with the air with scrap paper. Sometimes just tapping the back of the board will knock off the dust.

h1

Drawing Started: Lashonda Florescent

September 9, 2017

I’m staring a new charcoal drawing. This is my friend, Lashonda, who sat for me recently, back-lit by some florescent lights. I made a quick drawing study, and took some reference photos to work with later.

I used some tape to mask off two strips that will be the florescent lights in the background. I smoothed the background marks with brushes, and gave it a little more texture by lifting marks with a kneaded eraser. I’ll probably smooth it out more after I get the figure completed.

The surface is a 16 x 20″ illustration board that I’ve coated with a couple thin coats of plaster. The brushstrokes in the plaster help give it tooth and texture, and the soft plaster gives me a surface I can lightly scratch into to sharpen my charcoal lines. This works a little better than erasing, since it won’t smudge the charcoal.

h1

Drawing Final: Charlie Fishing

July 9, 2017

Here’s the final version, at least for now. The size is about 10 x 16.5″. I was debating whether to shade in the concrete pier. I decided not to since I didn’t want that “X” shape it would create in the center. I’ll let it sit for awhile, and see if it needs any touching up.

h1

Drawing Update: Charlie Fishing

July 6, 2017

I’ve got the far shoreline placed, and have begun drawing in the water. It’s looking a little tilted on the right side, but I’ll straighten it out later.

h1

New Drawing Started: Charlie Fishing

June 30, 2017

Here’s the beginning of a new drawing I started a couple days ago. My friend Charlie posed for me while he got a little fishing done.

I’m using a Uniball ink pen on 18 x 24″ paper (just showing the far right side.) I’ve just started on the background, and the water should be a challenge to get as smooth as I’d like it be look. I took photos of the creek so I could work on this later (now.)